(Part-Time Internship Position)
Reports to: Executive Director (CEO)
Leadership Rochester Organization
Leadership Rochester (LR) provides community leadership education to adult professionals and high school youth committed to strengthening Greater Rochester. Established in 1991, LR is small nonprofit with broad connection to the community.
Leadership Rochester Programs
Signature Leadership Program: Professional leaders spend a year together learning about different issues in our community. They participate in monthly program day sessions focused on topics such as the K-12 education system, healthcare, human services, diversity, the justice system, economic development, etc. Classes are held at different sites around Rochester.
Teen High school program: Modeled after the adult program, our teen program is shorter. The program draws 10-20 high school students from different school districts across our region and brings them together to learn about our community of Rochester. They meet with local leaders, visit key sites, and develop their own personal leadership skills.
In active partnership with the Executive Director, this individual will help strengthen Leadership Rochester’s branding, marketing, and communication efforts.
Work with our Marketing committee to strengthen branding efforts for the organization including interviewing alumni, crafting narratives, and helping to develop targeted communication language.
• Design, author, and publish e-newsletter, printed program, and marketing materials.
• Create marketing calendar.
• Create and publish content for social media platforms including LinkedIn, Facebook, Insta, and Twitter.
• Update website as needed.
• Attend Leadership Rochester programs. (Example: Adult program one full Friday a month)
- Strong written and verbal business communication skills.
- Skilled at Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Familiarity with MailChimp for e-newsletter communications or willingness to learn
- Experience with Canva or familiarity with graphic design software or willingness to learn.
- Comfort with Social Media platforms including LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Comfort with light content updates to website (programming not required)
- Opportunities for skill development based on individual’ personal performance and learning goals.
Professional Development and Learning Potential:
This is a paraprofessional student leadership position. The individual will
- Develop strong business networking skills.
- Meeting with diverse local leaders across Rochester.
- Receive coaching and leadership development.
- Develop a broad understanding of the community systems of Greater Rochester including government, business, nonprofit, and community development.
- Learn about messaging, writing, and business communication and office acumen.
- Develop applied meeting facilitation skills.
- Learn nonprofit governance and management skills.
- Develop comprehensive Branding and messaging portfolio for organization in partnership with Director.
- Develop social media and marketing calendar in partnership with Board and Director.
Students interested in marketing and communications, civic engagement, government, economic development, criminal justice, law, community development, nonprofit governance, and other disciplines will find that Leadership Rochester provides significant opportunity to deepen one’s understanding of community systems and topics related to all of the aforementioned areas.
Wage $150 per month stipend
Hours: 7.5-12 hours per week.
Office hours are flexible to accommodate great candidate. Office open M-F 8:30-4:00 pm. Due to COVID, remote work is strongly encouraged except that physical attendance at most monthly program days is beneficial. 2021 Program Dates Are: Feb 5, March 12, April 16, May 14. June 10, June 11, July 16, Aug 20, Sept 10, Oct 1
(Bus/Uber/Lyft fare assistance may be available to help you attend these program session dates.) A student who can stay with this internship position through the spring, summer, and fall would be preferred.
TO APPLY: Candidates interested in this position should
- Review our website to learn more about our organization and our programs
- Email the Executive Director, Gwen Van Laeken at LR@LeadershipRochester.org .
a. Please include the email subject line: “2021 Marketing Internship Position”
b. Include a cover letter regarding your interest.
c. Attach your resume outlining your skills and experience. We know that resumes can be stressful. Don’t stress. Simple format is fine.